The Case Against Water Damage at Home | SERVPRO® of Lancaster
We could never live without water, but we certainly could live without the experience of water damage at home.
Concerning water damage, there can be a plethora of driving factors behind it. Are you able to identify what some of those causes are?
What Can Cause It?
Between 2009 and 2015, The Travelers Companies Inc. reports that the most common causes of homeowners insurance claims were:
- Exterior wind damage
- Non-weather-related water damage
- Weather-related water damage
As you can see, water damage appears on this list twice, but in two distinct forms. You can classify water damage as non-weather-related and weather-related.
Non-weather-related damage is most common for homeowners, often coming from plumbing or appliance issues. While just as trying, weather-related water damage is not as common and can stem from rain, snow or melting ice.
Regarding your home, the top five reasons for water damage are plumbing issues, washing machine leaks, busted water pipes, aging water heaters and bad weather.
Keeping Your Home Dry
Water damage comes with a price tag. But can you imagine the cost if the damage was not covered by your homeowners insurance plan? It’s a good idea to regularly review your policies to ensure all bases are covered. In most cases, the following damages are covered by a standard policy:
- Damages caused by from weight of ice, snow or sleet
- Discharge and overflow of water, even by accident
- Tearing apart, cracking, burning or bulging of a steam or hot water heating system
- Freezing of plumbing and pipes
While water damage can be highly stressful, there are ways to help stave off certain water-related issues.
- Applying water sensors and automatic shut-off valves
- Installing metal mesh connection hoses on the washer and dryer
- Making sure your gutters and downspouts are free of debris
- Ridding the hot water tank of buildup by flushing it every six months
- Keeping grease out the kitchen sink and drain
These tips can help make sure you avoid some rather costly water damage at home.
Water damage can be a nightmare to deal with, but fortunately, you will always have SERVPRO® of Santa Clarita Valley on your side to help with the cleanup and restoration process.